A very English Hygge

Hygge, one of those words that dominated last autumn and winter, along with it's newer flashier cousin Lagom. They both made our very English word, Cosy pale a little in comparison or so it seemed.

Cosy, isn't scandi or particularly cool and definitely not flashy but it is ours and I'm here to reclaim it.

But hygee did us a favour, it helped us to fall back in love with chillier times, to embrace nature, hot drinks, even hot tubs! Now I'm a little bit scandi myself but overwhelmingly from our green isle and I think it's a shame that cosy got lost somewhere along the way. It got a bit fusty, lost it's mojo, but it is glorious in meaning  - a feeling of comfort, warmth and relaxation - ahhhh.

Right now, I write this watching the flames rise up, the wood crackle and spit in the wood-burner. It's the burners first outing, so it's a bit smoky and stinky, so I've popped a bit of vicks under my nose - how British is that! But it is cosy, super snuggly and cosy, it's hot buttered toast and pot of tea cosy.

It's been a beautiful morning and I've had a good walk in frosty, autumnal leaf glory, but as I come home, the house is chilly and a little unwelcoming. The room with the fire in smells a bit damp and I'm getting a few sniffles. It is time.

I'm not great at lighting the fire sans the bloke, but today I am determined. I gather bits of the tree that have blown off in the wind for kindling and drag up the last of the woody lavender to help with the smell. I pop to the shops and buy firelighters just in case...

And oh joy! It builds slowly at first and then some more and now it roars.

I sit with my cup of tea, in my tin folklore mug. It has a bear and a fox in a forest on it. It is a happy mug. I have a cat by my side and decide that I can finally remove my bobble hat.

I handwrite this first because it is a pleasure. I've a pretty notebook with a picture by Dee Nickerson on the front. She depicts a world I love, a little like my own but it's my world on a very good day. It makes me smile and it speaks to me. It makes picking this up a little more joyful. I also have a nice pen, which has purple ink - just the ticket.

Yesterday, I even made a cake. It's lemon and poppy seed and I have a big chunk of it on the other side than the cat.

The cat purrs, the fire crackles, my pen moves across the page. Tea, cake and jumpers. This is the beginning of my cosy...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning glory

Left to my own devices